City of Medina – Medina
Medina Civil Service Commission will be accepting resumes w/cover letter to fill a Building Administrative Assistant vacancy. Highly skilled clerical support to the Building Department. Will be directly responsible for accepting building plans and specifications, ensuring all documentation required is submitted. Knowledge of building and construction terminology desired. Permit Technician Certification preferred or willingness to obtain. Must be able to prioritize work, with emphasis on multi-tasking. Ability to work well with public in disseminating information both over the phone and in person. Starting wage $21.63/hour. Resumes w/cover letter being accepted at the Medina Civil Service office, 132 N Elmwood Ave, Medina, online at www.medinaoh.org/jobopportunities or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Deadline to apply is December 22nd by 4pm. Pre-employment drug testing and background check (at applicant’s expense) is required. EOE
CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION
132 North Elmwood Avenue
Medina, Ohio 44256
Date of Issue: December 2, 2021
Medina Civil Service Commission announces the collection of resumes for review to fill a vacancy in the classification below:
BUILDING ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
City of Medina Starting Salary: $21.63/hour (2022)
Detailed resumes and cover letter may be submitted for review and consideration in person at the Medina Civil Service office, 132 North Elmwood Avenue, Lower Level, Medina, Monday through Friday 8am-4pm or through email to email@example.com or through website www.medinaoh.org/jobopportunities . Opened to internal and outside candidates for an open competitive review.
Deadline for filing resume w/cover letter is 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, December 22, 2021.
Nature of Work: The individual in this classification provides highly skilled clerical support to the Building Official and Building Division staff. The Building Administrative Assistant must perform a variety of administrative office duties with minimal supervision, and must possess the ability to prioritize work, with an emphasis on multi-tasking. The Building Administrative Assistant position represents a key role in the daily operation of a state-certified Building Division. The individual in this classification will be directly responsible for accepting building plans and specifications and ensuring that all documents required are submitted to or have been received by the Building Division. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Building Official.
Minimum Qualifications: Considerable clerical experience, including familiarity with various computer applications and programs. High School diploma or equivalent, preferably supplemented by business school or college courses in computer and general office skills, or any equivalent combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Must possess at time of hire, or be willing to acquire within a prescribed length of time, an International Code Councilcertificate as aPermit Technician.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (examples, but not limited to):
- Performs a wide variety of complex and confidential clerical tasks for Building Division staff and assist all Community Development Department staff as needed.
- Schedules and coordinates appointment calendars for Building Division employees.
- Drafts professional correspondence responding to sensitive requests for information and assistance.
- Coordinates the flow of paperwork, including periodic and special reports within the Building Division, as well as between the Community Development Divisions and various City, County and State departments including the Ohio Board of Building Standards, Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board and other similar government agencies.
- Reviews and delivers incoming mail and correspondence for Building Division staff.
- Maintains regular and consistent attendance.
- Assumes specific authority as assigned by the Building Official.
- Projects maturity and professionalism when relaying information, instructions and directions on behalf of the Community Development Department staff.
- Demonstrates continuous efforts to improve operations, decrease turnaround times and streamline work processes.
- Knowledge of office terminology, procedures and protocols, office equipment, general business arithmetic, proper grammar, statistic gathering/reporting of Departmental activities; and building enforcement terminology, operating procedures and policies.
- Skilled in the use of computers and various computer applications; and maintaining complex administrative records and preparing reports from such records.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: This position involves occasional standing, bending, stooping, crawling, squatting, lifting, kneeling and reaching.
ENVIRONMENTAL ELEMENTS: This position requires the employee to spend a large portion of the day at a desk or computer station with much of that time spent on the telephone. This will include a high incidence of interaction with citizens of the City, governmental officials and other municipal employees, occasionally under stressful conditions. The Building Administrative Assistant must occasionally attend mandatory and other work-related seminars or instructional classes for the maintenance of certifications held, and for the direct benefit of the Department.
Probation: All persons appointed to permanent positions are subject to a probationary period of 180 days worked. The probationary period is an essential part of the hiring process used for the effective adjustment of the employee and elimination of any probationer whose performance fails to meet required work standards.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG TESTING REQUIRED
BACKGROUND CHECK (at applicant’s expense) REQUIRED
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER