The City of Medina
CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION
132 North Elmwood Avenue
Medina, Ohio 44256
Date of Issue: November 9, 2021
Medina Civil Service Commission announces the open collection of employment application along with a resume and cover letter from interested candidates for competitive review to fill a vacancy in the classification of:
Medina Community Recreation Center
Starting Salary: $22.12/hour Plus Benefits
Detailed resumes and cover letter, along with an employment application may be submitted for review and consideration in person at the Medina Civil Service office, 132 North Elmwood Avenue, Lower Level, Medina or through email to email@example.com . Employment application can be obtained at www.medinaoh.org/job-opportunities .
Deadline for filing is 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 30, 2021.
Nature of Work: As part of an evolving, fast-paced organization, the individual in this classification will be responsible for a multitude of tasks within the Medina Community Recreation Center (MCRC). This individual is primarily responsible for the overall supervision of the specific facility area, personnel and daily operations during various facility hours. The individual in this position is under the general supervision of the Recreation Center Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manages part-time facility staffing including hiring, training, scheduling and supervising of employees in the Fitness Room, Facility Attendants, and Facility Monitors.
- Conducts part-time staff meetings, as required, to provide appropriate training and development.
- Maintains proper operation of Fitness Room equipment including cleaning and maintenance.
- Reviews facility rental requests including appropriate facility use and staffing coverage.
- Oversees the facility set-up required for MCRC sponsored rentals, programs and special events and assists with staffing and coordination.
- Coordinates all part-time and full-time staffing certifications in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation/AED and First Aid, excluding lifeguard certifications.
- Researches new equipment purchases for facility and maintains facility equipment inventory.
- Maintains Emergency Action Plan and Procedures and Facility Area Staff Manuals.
- Assists Center Director with developing and maintaining standard operating procedures policy and operational manual and employee handbook.
- Interprets and enforces City and Department policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Reports details of day-to-day operations of MCRC to Center Director on a regular basis.
- Oversees daily operations of the vending facilities.
- Maintains regular and consistent attendance.
- Prepares monthly reports and statistics regarding facility usage and participant counts.
- Assists Center Director in preparing facility budget and bi-weekly staffing payroll.
- Assists Center Director in coordinating custodial and maintenance responsibilities and concerns with the Medina City School staff.
- Oversees patron safety, security, and disciplinary issues.
- Serves as full-time Manager on Duty as assigned.
- Serves as the person in charge in the absence of the Center Director.
- Attends seminars, conferences and workshops to gain knowledge to further upgrade Department programs and day-to-day operations.
- Attends Recreation Board meetings, when required.
- Assists fellow employees as required and works closely with fellow staff members and community in carrying out department goals.
- Able to perform the physical demands that include but are not limited to having the strength and endurance to walk during long periods of time, along with the ability to spend time standing, bending, stooping, crawling, squatting, lifting, kneeling, reaching throughout the day.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Management, Public Leisure or Recreation preferred.
- Increasing responsibility in professional recreation including work in a private, public or military recreation delivery system. Advanced degree may be applied toward experience requirement.
License: Valid driver’s license issued by the State of Ohio and must remain insurable under the City of Medina’s vehicle insurance plan.
Certification: Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation/ AED and First Aid
QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge of:
- Comprehensive recreation programs; and
- Principles of public recreation and its application at a local level.
- Computers, programs and membership software, including but not limited to Microsoft Office, Excel, and Word.
- Overseeing various Department functions such as program development, marketing and budgeting; and
- Customer service.
- Supervise part-time employees;
- Communicate effectively in writing or orally with co-workers, supervisors and the general public in person or over a telephone or radio;
- Read and write reports, correspondence and instructions;
- Operate motor vehicles safely;
- Understand and follow complex oral and written instructions;
- Operate standard office equipment including but not limited to, personal computer, fax and copy machines, telephone and printers;
- Provide administrative and professional leadership and direction to Department personnel.
This position requires the employee to spend part of each working day in the office and throughout the Recreation Center and City of Medina’s Parks. The position includes a high incidence of interaction with fellow employees and patrons.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Will be required to work outside normal business hours including weekends, evenings and holidays.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER